Brandon Hill lamp-posts: Choosing

I chose the lamp-posts on Brandon Hill because they immediately remind me of the lamp-post in C.S. Lewis famous novels about Narnia. The lamp-post was planted at the foundation of Narnia:

In the book “The Magician’s Nephew”, two young London children are somehow drawn into a “wood between the worlds,” which is a central place from which all other worlds can be accessed. The boy, Digory, disobeys an edict not to ring a bell when he and Polly enter Charn, and by ringing the bell, they awaken the White Witch (Jadis of Charn).

When returning to their own world, Jadis follows the children, finding herself in London, where she is a tall and powerful woman. In rage, she breaks off piece of a lamppost and when they return to Narnia she is still holding it in her hand.

When Aslan starts to create the world, she is so terrified of this “singing lion” that she throws the lamppost piece at Aslan and runs away. The lamppost has absolutely no effect on Aslan, but because the whole of Narnia is just bursting forth with new life, like the rest of the trees the lamppost begins to grow up from out of the ground, becoming a life of its own with a light that never dies.

This is an image I’ve always found intruiging. I am interested in how societies tell their creation stories so might follow this theme through.

I also realise that it leapt out at me because in recent years I’ve enjoyed telling Narnia to my own children so much, years after originally reading them. Now they have the movies as well of course, which we all enjoy as a family. There is something very special about seeing pictures that you haven’t seen for decades, as you open up an old story book for your own child. They are echoes from an ancient time: like visiting an old childhood house.

This entry was posted in 1. Personal choice, 2. Observation, 3. Generating questions and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Brandon Hill lamp-posts: Choosing

1. Ruth Deakin Crick says:

what intrigues me is whether there are arche types, ie cultural themes common through history, which all cultures recognise, and which in some way we need, in order to ‘belong’ – or because it meets some deep human personal or cultural need. So in the Narnia story there is the wicked witch, scapegoating violence, good versus evil, love versus violence and so on……have you thought about a Giradian take on this?