Mocked-up tools – for discussion

Simon and I discussed some ideas for EnquiryBlogger tools yesterday.
The PowerPoint embedded below shows some mock-ups.
What do you think? Could these be useful to you / to the learners you work with?
How could they be improved? What else would be useful?

This entry was posted in 9. Reflections on Experiment. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Mocked-up tools – for discussion

1. Kayte Judge says:

Hi Rebecca

these look great, I think it is important to have everything together so that the enquiry can undertake all written and reflective aspects of their enquiry from the same ‘portal’. We suffered last year from confusion around the enquiry, reflective journals, ELLI, the qualification paperwork etc etc so I think it would be powerful to conduct the entire enquiry through enquiry blogger.

One thing – can you upload files to enquiry blogger?

with thanks

Kayte

2. Mark Moorhouse says:

Hi Rebecca

Many thanks for this. Looks good!

Really like the spiral shell format: a real sense of starting from something within and growing out to meet the world. A stroke of inspired genius this, I reckon, quite honestly. In fact it is so good an idea that I was probably minutes away from having the very same notion myself.

The Mood board is a useful safety net and an interesting metric in itself, but (and there’s an Enquiryblogger training package evolving here) is far from straightforward, in that a learner who is a sunny yellow most of the time may not be pushing their boundaries and leaving comfortable space, whereas someone more purple might really be wrestling with the challenge of, say, a telephone or face to face interview with an “expert” they have contacted to help them with their learning or an academic periodical with some really quite esoteric language. Indeed, an alternative would be to have a chart which maps the three areas of “Comfort Zone”, “Learning Zone” and “Panic Zone” with the colours running in to each other. Would be good to talk about being towards the panic end of a learning zone etc. And another option would be to have a metric/graphic based upon Claxton’s metaphor of the Gymnasium: we want to push for deep and difficult thinking and a graphic for “How much weight have you got on the bar?” could be useful. So “How hard is your thinking at this point?” with a dumb-bell you can add weights too, or a simple slider between images of a face asleep one end and with gritted teeth the other. Great link-in here with Carol Dweck’s notion of a “growth” mindset and the importance of a learning culture which respects effort and application rather than fixed, god-given “ability”. We probably shouldn’t end up with too much (unless we have an “app” like toolkit which can be opened at will by different groups at different times for different discussions) but it can’t be bad to build a menu of possibilities.

8 Step draw-down boxes good. We need to take care with the rubric though: the “Choosing” example, strays straight onto “Observing” territory. We also need to beware giving guidance which is purely mechanistic. Whilst it is good to suggest that images, text and video could be used to illustrate this section, it is also really important, again, to push for depth. The prompt to take time to reflect carefully and at some depth, perhaps talking with others and leaving and returning to the thoughts to give them time to evolve, is probably the more vital advice that learners need. True, we need to prompt for well-populated blogs, but the sophistication of learners’ thinking and behaviours are the real value here.

The customisableness of the image panel is great, I think. I am aware that it is a comment I may have made on the train to Simon and yourself about the Frog VLE used by schools and the good use some schools have made of exploiting the facilities for learners to personalise their own online learning space. My first thoughts that another couple of customisable panels would be even better, but I am now scratching my head as to whether this space should, as a portal for EBL, meet the world half-way…or whether the actual outcome or product should do that and its OK for learners’ blogs to be thoroughly customised. The problem is that the blog would be a kind of a product in itself…Mmmm….

If blogging on a future Enquiryblogger blog, I might move the slider to show a frowning and sweating face (which is good-I’m getting fitter then) and take a rest.

Which is exactly what I’ll do.

Really quite excited already by the mock-up though.

Great stuff!

Mark

3. Ruth Deakin Crick says:

I think this is looking really exciting. Several issues come to my mind…one is about language. We think that the eight steps are actually thinking and learning capabilities which a learner will use on any enquiry (whatever the format) even though there is a logic to them. However the choice of a personal object or place suggests a particular format of an enquiry – even though this displays the richness of enquiry as demonstrated in our products. We may need to distinguish between choosing – the purpose of which is ‘ownership’ and choosing a concrete object or place which is important in this model of knowledge co-construction. My point is that we need to make the EnquiryBlogger as generic as possible – even though we know that the empirical process from experience to product is crucial. So if someone starts with a question, rather than a place, maybe they need to be led back to ‘choosing’ and ‘owning’ and then finding something ‘experiencable’ and ‘concrete’ so they can move through the different ways of knowing and thinking and learning capabilities in the most productive manner.

Secondly – is there any way that the mind map can be automatically generated to start them off – linked to the tagging? or does it actually need a meaning making person to create a mind map?

Can we also tag using the ELLI dimensions?

All for now – I’ve been dying to get back into this all the time I have been having fun on the Isle of Iona.

4. Ruth Deakin Crick says:

PS I LOVE the fractal too – inspired genuis. Need to think carefully about the words and examples as Mark says

5. Shaofu says:

These look wonderful! The visualised representations are so powerful.

I especially like the idea of using plug-ins because they increase flexibility. Learners can use different plug-ins depending on the types of their enquiries.

To me, this model of Enquiry Blog seems more like a presentational tool rather than a learning guiding tool. The blog can facilitate (and richen) communication between learner/coacher and between learner peers, but it will be used based on coaching/guiding of learning in the real world. Following this thought, it relies on teacher in the real world to encourage learners start from a question to get back to the step of ‘choosing’ and ‘owning’. But leaving eight steps on the spiral it self will make a strong hint of those steps haven’t been going through.

There is one more thing comes to my mind: It will be useful to keep the condition per quo of the learner with each single enquiry so a trace of development can be seen afterwards. If these plug-ins are”blog wide”, than learner might either need to create a new blog for each enquiry or capture images of these plug-ins and insert them to a final post of each enquiry.